Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
The fact those you think those places are doing just fine is the precisely problem this region has had for too long . Metro Detroit has some cheapest, least valued real estate in the country. The weakness of Detroit affects the entire region. It makes it harder companies to recruit talent, I've seen post here and other placesfrom people potentially taking jobs in the burbs who are apprehensive, because of what they've heard about Detroit. It makes it less desirable for companies to move here and do business in the first place. I could go on, but the fact is Detroit's poor image just doesn't stop a 8 Mile for the rest of the world.
Not to mention the region has been stagnant at best in population and economic growth for over 3 decades, it's overall much poorer than it was even 15 years ago, and the metro area has actually declined from the 4th largest to the 13th largest in the nation [[and still falling), whereas NYC, Chicago and Philadelphia are still top 6 largest metro areas.

I always reference this article to counter the idea that the region/state is doing "just fine."

http://rustwire.com/2011/03/11/michi...iving-us-away/