Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Makes me curious... Has there ever been a protest against the construction of a Christian church in Metro Detroit?

Off the top of my head I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Makes me curious... Has there ever been a protest against the construction of a Christian church in Metro Detroit?

Here is a sampling of ¨protests¨ of Christian churches in Metro Detroit, if by protest you mean meetings of the zoning board packed with protesters and followed by litigation....

Inkster:
    http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2011/07/michigan-church-sues-claiming-rluipa.html

Hazel Park:
    http://www.attorneysforlanduse.com/cases-hazel.html

Taylor:
    http://www.daltontomich.com/blog/metro_south_church_how_a_religious_land_use_issue_ resolved_without_litigati

Southfield:
    http://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/local/southfield/2015/03/27/church-wins-new-parking-lot-special-use/70539496/

Northville:
    http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/10a0388p-06.pdf

Farmington Hills:
    http://aalto.arch.ksu.edu/jwkplan/cases/jesus.pdf

I am not sure if any of these had people actually marching in the streets.

The advent of megachurches in the mid-90's brought about some litigation under the RLUIPA. Northwood Church [[Ridge Rd and M-14) in Plymouth Twp. has had some court cases on record.
    http://rluipa-defense.default.wp1.le...f-Plymouth.pdf

Apparently, they have never been built in a residential area or caused any traffic issues. Ever, in the entire metro area. Go figure.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; August-31-15 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Apparently, they have never been built in a residential area or caused any traffic issues. Ever, in the entire metro area. Go figure.
    Back in the 1970s when my late mother was on a church board in Rochester, the residents were complaining about parking on the streets during Sunday morning services then they fought every effort the church made to expand their off-street parking.

If that [[Baitful) mosque was to be completed in 15 Mile Rd near Mound Rd. There will be high traffic from its members coming and going. Even during their Friday services and Muslim call to prayer will be yelled out say "Allah Akbar!" There is no god but Allah, Mohammed and its prophets, the benefit the merciful" Will those middle class white folks who live around the mosque will move out! Some will only to replace be fewer Muslim folks who would live next to their beautiful [[Baitful) mosque with minuets towering all over Sterling Heights.

What would happen a Jewish Synagogue was to be built there?

So much for freedom of religion.

I'm going to have to agree with that observation.

Also, this whole thing reminds me very much of an incident brewing over five years ago when Livonia was to have a Walmarts built within it's borders. Not only do I remember quite well the uproar, but I have saved a string of printed news reports that demonstrated the progression of the reporting of the event: the first concern brought up was racism and having a Walmarts would bring blacks to Livonia, then folks at town hall meetings were out front saying "That this is not about racism.", before going into anything else about the matter [[who? what? imagine walking into that one. It's much like the shabby, harried stranger who comes up to you and the first thing they say in a wild and exaggerated manner is "Okay, okay I'm not crazy. That's the first thing you gotta know."), then following news reports made no more mention of racism, as it seemed everybody in an uproar grabbed at any straw [[much like a lot of Obama's more disingenuous critics who will sputter about anything except what it is that really bothers them about his presence in office) from the noise, to the parking, to the rowdy Walmarts style clientele to prove their dismay.

Well, the Walmarts got built, and it's a Walmarts, but it's a whole heck of a lot better than a lot of the other ones out there.

So, what was the real big deal then about that, and what is the real big deal now about this for Sterling Heights to have a mosque.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post

So, what was the real big deal then about that, and what is the real big deal now about this for Sterling Heights to have a mosque.
    Are you a homeowner? Probably not.

Most homeowners have the majority of their wealth tied up in their homes. Livonia is an inner-ring suburb and Walmart attracts hoodrats. If I was living in Livonia I sure as hell wouldn't want a nearby Walmart because it would likely lower property values. Even the Walmarts out in Novi, Rochester Hills and Troy are ghetto/trashy.

And that part of Livonia has declined since the Walmart was built, so the protesters were correct in their predictions.

And it isn't race per se. A 90% black neighborhood in Southfield vehemently protested a new Walmart a few years ago, and they were able to stop the project. They knew Walmart attracts crappy clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Even the Walmarts out in Novi, Rochester Hills and Troy are ghetto/trashy.
    It seems for a person who doesn't want anything to do with Walmart, it looks like you've visited alot of them. Or are they "ghetto/trashy" because you have a preconceived notion/stereotype of who shops at Walmart?

And there's two Walmarts in Livonia, so have both neighborhoods seen decline? Have you noticed decline in Troy, Rochester Hills, or Novi? [[Probably not because that would be counter your opinion in the superiority of suburbia).

And the Walmart planned for Southfield would have been at Telegraph and Southfield. Could you imagine another big box store there? [[Not only another, but the largest, most well known big box store) No, it would be insane because it's already clogged. It wasn't about the clientele, it was about traffic. News article below quotes a woman who wouldn't mind a Walmart, but not on the corner. The one below that mentions again the safety concerns increased traffic would've brought.

http://www.candgnews.com/news/plans-...and-southfield

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...for_metro.html

This mosque is not a Walmart Supercenter, it's gonna be a specially used building for Friday prayers and their high holiday. These people are nuts and are just masking their ignorance about Islam for "traffic concerns".

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Even the Walmarts out in Novi, Rochester Hills and Troy are ghetto/trashy.
    I've been to the Rochester Hills Walmart, and I worked at the Troy Walmart for 2.5 years. I don't perceive either to be ghetto/trashy.

The customer service is often not optimal, but that's kind of what you get when you shop at a place that pays lower wages.

The Rochester Hills one is pretty new and rather nice. The area that surrounds it is freeway\industrial, but the shopping center its in is well laid out [[for people driving, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I've been to the Rochester Hills Walmart, and I worked at the Troy Walmart for 2.5 years. I don't perceive either to be ghetto/trashy.

The customer service is often not optimal, but that's kind of what you get when you shop at a place that pays lower wages.

The Rochester Hills one is pretty new and rather nice. The area that surrounds it is freeway\industrial, but the shopping center its in is well laid out [[for people driving, of course).
    Do you find the well-paid customer service at Detroit City Hall to be an example of excellence. [[Full Disclosure: I haven't visited the permit desk in a few years now -- so I'm holding grudges against incompetence.)

Sure, there's a correlation between wages and employees quality -- but I've received some great service from people in low-wage jobs -- jobs they probably quickly lost as their quality brought them opportunity. [[Full Disclosure: I like people and am optimistic about them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Do you find the well-paid customer service at Detroit City Hall to be an example of excellence. [[Full Disclosure: I haven't visited the permit desk in a few years now -- so I'm holding grudges against incompetence.)

Sure, there's a correlation between wages and employees quality -- but I've received some great service from people in low-wage jobs -- jobs they probably quickly lost as their quality brought them opportunity. [[Full Disclosure: I like people and am optimistic about them.)
    High wages without accountability can lead to bad service. Unions shield workers from consequences from their actions.