Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
If African-Americans wanted more political influence, they would position themselves politically between the Republicans and Democrats as a voting bloc that can go either way. As it is, being a safe Democratic vote, the candidates lean to them in the primaries then move awy in the general election. As a result, the only thing they get from the Democrats is the crumbs that drop from the table. If their vote was "in play" every election, they could get a lot more.
I definitely see your point when it comes to the Democratic party and its "using" of its black support base without doing all that much in return. However, given the refusal of so much of the GOP to join the rest of us in the 21st century [[or even the 20th), I don't foresee the majority of black voters positioning themselves between the Dems and the Repubs - or anywhere near the current GOP at all - in the near future. A more likely outcome, I think, is for African-Americans to better organize as a semi-outside pressure group on the Democratic establishment, much like the evangelicals, the Tea Party, and other groups have done under the Republican umbrella.