Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
+5! A few threads back, people are pissing and moaning about the DPD not doing anything about crime, now their shifting the blame to the DPD. What's the message here? Hit the gas for a few blocks and you're scott-free? My heart goes out to the innocent children and their families. Look this asshole up, throw the key away, and sell the effin' car for scrap.

I thought policy was to call in Power Rangers and Pixies to magically whisk perps to jail.
I think it's important to hold law enforcement to a high standard. We give them a lot of power, and should expect them to be responsible with it. But more and better police doesn't directly result in less crime. We need a full court press, with better education, better jobs, etc -- better prospects in general.

If you have a license plate # [[either thru dash cam footage or automatic license plate readers), why engage in a dangerous chase? You'll get them eventually. The ends don't justify the means.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
Last I heard, the DPD hasn't had a helicopter in years [[cuz "hard times and stuff")...
We got an ex-military helicopter thru a federal grant in 2012, but it sat idle for a few years because it wasn't clear who was going to pay to maintain it [[and who was going to fly it.) I've heard anecdotally that it is in service, altho intermittently.

Also, Michigan State Police has a helicopter based here, which is used in a collaborative fashion with DPD.