Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Distracting?

The stupid rapid-edit video clips are horrible on that corner display.

I realized after being stuck at that light a few mornings that they might be doing it due the poor frame rate of the technology. It seems it is not ABLE to show full-motion video.

Wouldn't that be a hoot?! Detroit buys the biggest television in the world to learn it only play anime, and even that poorly.

The large, but temporary displays at the Grand Prix totally sucked, too. No grayscale uniformity, and every live video had horrid lip-sync issues...and they were way too dim on the very cloudy free Friday, I cannot imagine them useful on a sunny day.

These videowall additions to Cobo Hall are a huge miscalculation to an otherwise amazing renovation. They did not spend enough on the right technology, and it shows. They could have had the resolution, brightness, and impact of the amazing display in Comerica Park...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Wouldn't that be a hoot?! Detroit buys the biggest television in the world to learn it only play anime, and even that poorly.

You must have been distracted when reading the article? Here's a line you might have missed:

"The video screen will broadcast promotional messages about events taking place at Cobo, as well as public service messages touting Detroit attractions. And it's capable of broadcasting live events from within Cobo."

But it also all the screens combined were 2million dollars? That seems REALLY CHEAP, even if thats just the screens it seems cheap.

Exactly.

If they had to compromise on the purchase, they should not be bragging about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Exactly.

If they had to compromise on the purchase, they should not be bragging about it!
    Agreed..I hope you are wrong about all this damn it.

Gannon, if you get the specs, maybe you can list some comparable screens at other venues so we might know what to expect? Kill the suspense...

Geez, just found this article...wonder how many high schoolers beat the deadline.

Sure is a cool way to assemble content at no real cost...

http://www.cobocenter.com/cobo-3060

Just looked up the H.264 standard...it will support those insane pixel densities and frame rates...but if something is set wrong in the processing software [[there are way too many choices for clarity) one can get the same interrupted motion flow that I see at that corner display. I REALLY want it to not be the displays...and if they do have issues, they can just go back to more static and saturated imagery.

I think after the initial installation team is done, though, all bets are off. My gal was part of the team that specified what she now calls the 'migrane tunnel' out at Metro Airport. They wrote a full treatise on how various colors and combinations and flicker types could actually induce seizures and headaches. Those rules were followed for about two years...they are clearly not being followed now.

But at least I learned about the OFF button at each entrance...and I hit it every time I am forced to walk through that torture chamber!

Cheers