Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
Bham1982... he's only talking modern building of mid heights... you're going off on other tangents such as historic structures.... subway lines and cobblestone streets.... don't see that in his comments anywhere... Yes in NYC from downtown to Midtown there are a huge amount of historic well built buildings.... but that's not his point....

Yeah, Bham is on the tail end of StPatty's day celebrations. He reminds me of the pugnacious Fighting Irish's mascot swinging at cobwebs.

Nobody said anything about replicating Old New York. I think the idea that downtown and Midtown could have more mid/highrises and fewer skyscrapers is just as desirable as the quest for new heights.

Montreal has a bylaw restricting skyscrapers to a maximum height equal to Mount Royal so as not to impede visually on the mountain's preeminence. To me, streetlife and a good flow are more interesting than trophy architecture...at all cost. Good architecture is what we should lookout for and criticize the schemes we don't like. Architecture is something we have to live with, we can't tune it out like a bad TV show or a loud commercial.