Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
I'm a Black guy who spends time downtown and in midtown. I'm not a fan of Nolan Finley but I get his point. What he doesn't get is that the Black folks like me who would be in downtown and midtown are almost nonexistent in the city or metro-area. They are in Chicago, NYC, L.A., and D.C. Who does he think are the 250,000 people who left the city between 2000-2010? The Black people that left in that period are the ones would be at HopCat and Punch Bowl. This is more about class than race but someone like Nolan Finley wouldn't understand that.
I was in Punchbowl Social on Sunday night, and between 1/3 to 1/2 of the patrons were black. I went to HopCat last Monday, and I saw a few black couples and as well as blacks mixed with white/asian friends.

AJ3467 is right in that the target audience of these establishments are the 20-40 year old demographic in the metro area, of which blacks are very much a minority.

There are certain establishments downtown and midtown that cater to the black population. For instance, the Starters in the Studio One development on Woodward opened a couple of years ago has a 99% black clientele. In addition, the PV Lounge/Detroit Seafood restaurant in Harmonie Park has a majority black clientele. Sweetwater Tavern has a predominantly black customer base, as well some clubs downtown, like Club Bleu, the White House, and the Paris Bar.