Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

^^^ I could go deep, but just not 'going there'....

Hehehehehe... thanks for the good laugh guys... first you mock Christians... and then you want them to help with your agenda.... Good luck with that....

Maybe if you guys didn't use a page from the late Madeline Murray-O'Hare's book of etiquette... you'd garner a bit more sympathy....

^^^ Yep. A bigger agenda is afoot which doesn't care 'who' you're for so long as you are obedient to serve.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-14 at 06:45 AM.

OK, if it's down to speaking in codes, then I'll be taking my plain-speaking ass on out of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Hehehehehe... thanks for the good laugh guys... first you mock Christians... and then you want them to help with your agenda.... Good luck with that....

Maybe if you guys didn't use a page from the late Madeline Murray-O'Hare's book of etiquette... you'd garner a bit more sympathy....
    Wait, are you talking to me? You very much missed the point.

rb was correct about 7 states having anti-atheist laws. They are in the constitutions of those states and are archaic.

They're still there because nobody has gone to the trouble to have them judicially or politically removed. Why should they?

Such provision are directly contrary to the U.S. Constitution prohibiting religious tests for public office and a U.S. Su. Ct decision has so confirmed.

FYI, we are ready to have our first assembly!

September's theme is "Beginnings". There will be coffee and doughnuts.

Sunday, Sept. 21 @ 11:00 am

The Birmingham Temple Congregation for Humanistic Judaism
    28611 West Twelve Mile Rd
    Farmington Hills, MI

To RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/583103845133023/

This is a monthly event; we hope to be holding events in Detroit [[not the 'burbs) soon.

Willi Guest

The nonprofit Freedom From Religion Foundation is the
    largest freethought association [[atheists and agnostics) in North America.

https://www.facebook.com/4ffrf/photos_stream

Is that like the Jewish version of Unitarians?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

LOL I would agree with that. I believe the rabbi there goes by the label "the atheist rabbi".

I wish the Sunday Assembly all the best. I go to a very liberal and open Episcopal church and still find myself struggling not so much with the belief in God and Jesus but with the state of Christianity and religion as a whole but I love my community and the worship. And that's important to me.

Yeah, sort of. I can't speak for them, but I assume it's people who grew up with Jewish traditions and don't believe but want to keep the traditions/history/culture.

And that's sort of what Sunday Assembly is for. It's for people who for whatever reason* don't want a church but want the community, fellowship, philanthropy, morals, etc.

Live better, help often, and wonder more!

Follow up post [[for those who care):

We've had 4 monthly meetings so far. Attendance is slowly and steadily increasing. Yesterday we had 68 people. Speakers/topics have been:

September - Tom Nardone, Detroit Mower Gang: Beginnings
    October - Laura Ridenour, Dearborn Fire Marshal: Preparedness
    November - Bill Ziegler, Mesothelioma Survivor: Resourcefulness
    December - Pj Jacokes, Founder of GO! Comedy Improv Theater: Imagination

In addition to the monthly assembly meetings, we've had two volunteer events [[Gleaners in Detroit). Attendance was 20 for the first one and 16 for the second.

One of our social outings was dinner at Cass Cafe followed by a planetarium show at Wayne State; it was attended by about 40 people.

Although we meet in the 'burbs [[it's a great venue and it's free!), I try to schedule as many events in the city as possible. [[Later this month we are watching a movie at the DIA and grabbing dinner afterwards at Maccabees.)

Willi Guest

Nice to know bigotry, lack of respect, and religious prejudice is alive and thriving in Metro-Detroit.

Why can't people just politely say "no thanks" and move on down the road to do their own thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Nice to know bigotry, lack of respect, and religious prejudice is alive and thriving in Metro-Detroit.

Why can't people just politely say "no thanks" and move on down the road to do their own thing?
    Haters gonna hate. Don't let it get to you; I don't!

Willi Guest

It's unfortunate that much of the pot-stirring goes on inside many religious type building all too often.

Spend time outside, in the world, meeting/talking to all kinds of people and use your own mind to make decisions , without others buzzing in your ears about this, that, or something else

Independent thought and action
    - instead of mob mentality, peer pressure, etc.

Happy Holidays to all regardless.......
    Last edited by Willi; December-15-14 at 01:34 PM.

Happy Holidays to all regardless.......
    Oh no! The dreaded and evil War on Christmas greeting: "Happy Holidays"

Willi Guest

It is a more respectful, polite, and unapologetic greeting for the month of December

Stay neutral, you'll attend more gatherings, and enjoy good times with many people.
    Last edited by Willi; December-15-14 at 03:16 PM.

It is a more respectful, polite, and unapologetic greeting for the month of December

Stay neutral, you'll attend more gatherings, and enjoy good times with many people.
    If it wasn't obvious, I wasn't being serious....

Willi Guest

It beats a flaming wooden wheel being rolled down a hill at your house along with crazed bunch of slightly buzzed happy people yelling at the top of their lungs celebrating the universe

Here is a fun one: My husband found a web site listing interesting grave stones.

"here lies an atheist, all dressed up and no place to go"
    Last edited by sumas; December-15-14 at 11:55 PM.

Another short story which I posted before was my husband was raised in a devote Catholic family. I was raised UCC and still am. My husband wanted to be wedded at a georgeous old church of his childhood but because I would not convert we could only be married at a side alter, we both agreed I was not second class, we married in mine.

His mother declared for years we were not married in the eyes of God [[we visited his folks "religiously" ) every Saturday for years. We waited quite a bit before starting a family, our eldest son was their first and only grand child for quite a while. She constantly moaned I wasn't Catholic until I pointed out she was calling her grandson a bastard. Never heard another peep.

I respect any religion or group that believes in a moral Life. In fact our oldest married a Krishna adherent, fine by us.

People don't quiblle. I have Two sisters and and brother: two atheists, one agnostic. They are fine people.
    Last edited by sumas; December-16-14 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    The Oppression!
    Ask any gay person in America about religion and oppression, then get back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    You prefer know-nothings, it seems.
    Catholics don't like know-nothings-look that bit of American history up.
    Oh, and yeah, to those foolish enough to lump Catholics in with the K.K.K. [[despite the Coughlins, Buchannans and O' Reileys), get wise to your history. A.S.A.P.
    7th Day Adventists [[Millerites), Masons, K.K.K., Nazis, Dispensationalists, Know-nothing party-with enemies like that, they may be on the right track about something.

It's Judaism without God. Imagine a burger without the bun or the onions or the lettuce or the tomatoe or any meat [[or Tempeh-if you want.). Yep, just a nice hearty packet of ketchup and mustard to suck down.

Spend time outside, in the world, meeting/talking to all kinds of people and use your own mind to make decisions , without others buzzing in your ears about this, that, or something else

Independent thought and action
    - instead of mob mentality, peer pressure, etc.
    Peculiar that the same groups advocating "free thought" uphold the very men in fraternal organizations who dictate a strict control of monitoring, fear-instilling, gang-joining/safety-in-numbers, secrecy-living, binding folks to oaths, and laying out who you should show partial and preferential treatment towards or against. If one were to actually read the Bible, Jesus condemned the burdens Pharisees put on others, and St. Paul warned of those who slip in to steal other folks liberty. Yet, if one is too cautious to read the Bible-in fear that it might "contaminate" them-then they are being just as much as suspicious as they accuse the religious. On the other hand, to just dismiss the Bible altogether is to clumsily paint in broad strokes in a way that disregards the Golden Rule [[Please, none of the "he who has the Gold... har har har" crud here.) and any other truths it holds, while not even treating it as a viable literary resource.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast