I remember some time back a story in the news about someone leaving their home unoccupied for a couple weeks and the neighbors just kinda invaded ransacked, trashed the place, and turned it into something of a hangout spot... Which in an of itself is fucked up but what was even worse was the responses the offenders had when questioned about it. The pretty much blamed it on the homeowner for leaving their home unoccupied. Does anyone else remember this story? It was a year or so ago. This stands in the way of progress in neighborhood Detroit. Neighbors are supposed to look out for one another.
In my own experience. The home across the street was bailed while they were at work. I lived around 94 and Whittier by the girls school. Everything was put on the curb. Nice people too. The guy helped my fix my garage door when he saw me struggling with it. Well. As soon as the bailers left it was like a block party. Everyone was out there rummaging thru their stuff. taking anything and everything.