Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    She should have come to Indian Village. Premium neighborhood with no walls.

And on the apparently unlivable east side too.
    But also comes with high[[er) crime, even with private security patrols. Indian Village can't be walled off in any practical way, so probably an issue of street grid rather than philosophical differences between communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    But also comes with high[[er) crime, even with private security patrols. Indian Village can't be walled off in any practical way, so probably an issue of street grid rather than philosophical differences between communities.
    Believe it or not, restricting access has been discussed in the past around here. And pretty soundly rejected. The feeling of most Villagers is that, for better or worse, we are a part of the city and not apart from it. For all that, and for being on the oh-so-scary east side, I don't think our crime is all that much higher than Palmer Woods' or other nice west side neighborhoods.

Believe it or not, restricting access has been discussed in the past around here. And pretty soundly rejected. The feeling of most Villagers is that, for better or worse, we are a part of the city and not apart from it. For all that, and for being on the oh-so-scary east side, I don't think our crime is all that much higher than Palmer Woods' or other nice west side neighborhoods.
    Actually, the article addressed safety and private security. You are right, communities with defined identities fair rather well regarding crime. Barriers. do little.as do private security companies. Neighbors watching out for neighbors make a huge difference.

Logistically, how would this be done? Indian Village is on a street grid, so, to me, it would seem almost impossible to have a Palmer Woods-style gated community. Palmer Woods is built in a suburban, "subdivision" style, with limited access points. Indian Village flows seamlessly into the adjacent blocks.

I mean, I guess you could just block every single road in/out of Indian Village except for one, but that would be crazy, and would make adjacent neighborhoods even more deprived. I don't think too many people would support such an arrangement.