I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. It is intended to be a "woe is us", Detroit-is-a-red-headed-stepchild thread? Is it intended to build a case for a publicly-subsidized tourist trap? Or is it, perhaps, an opportunity to see what Detroit can do to encourage more tourism [[both "domestic" and "foreign")? I prefer to believe the latter....

I travel as much as I can, and honestly, I'm not one of these "sit-on-my-ass-on-the-beach" types. So destinations like Florida have very little appeal to me. Typically, what compels me to visit a place is a sense of history and culture, and maybe something a little different than home. After all, isn't that why we leave home--to have different experiences?

I don't think Detroit needs to emulate anywhere else. It would be folly to advertise Detroit as a great beach destination, for example. But there are plenty of strengths that can be capitalized. That's not to say, create a tourist-trap atmosphere, but really think about helping potential tourists instead of just trying to take their money.

When I visit a place, one of my favorite activities is to get a cup of coffee [[preferably from a locally-owned shop), and walk the streets. I find you get a good sense of a place from that perspective. Unfortunately, in Detroit, one can only walk so far before the pedestrian environment becomes hostile, if not bleak. That's not to say one can't drive at all [[especially since most visitors to Detroit are likely from within the Great Lakes region), but it's nice to get out of the car and stretch and *experience* a place.

So, if I may, below is a bit of a "wish list"--things that I appreciate as a visitor in other cities, and things I would pursue if I worked at the Detroit CVB:

1. Can I get there? How easy is it to drive around? Downtown Detroit is notoriously difficult and disorienting to drive for novices. Any efforts to reduce the amount of driving necessary would make Detroit an "easier" place to visit. Signage helps.

For those flying, is transportation from the airport convenient and reasonably priced?

2. Lodging. A good mix of hotels appeals to travelers at varying price points and tastes. Are they close to attractions? Conveniently located? Walking distance to a good range of dining options?

3. Wayfinding and information. Clear, concise pedestrian-oriented wayfinding is often overlooked, but perhaps the most critical importance. I might have heard of a new DIA exhibit, but if I don't know where it is, or I get lost looking for it, I'm not going to enjoy myself.

An *extremely* visible Detroit CVB office would be helpful! Hiding away in the financial district isn't going to be one bit helpful to leisure visitors.

4. Good restaurants: Locally-owned places with quality fare. I'm a bit of a foodie, so if I visit Detroit, I could care less if there's a Cheesecake Factory if you show me something special and well-executed. Again, a range of options for different budgets and tastes.

5. Detroit has wonderful places to visit, but they're all over the map. I would employ a "district-based" approach. Divide the region into subareas [[downtown, midtown, Corktown, Dearborn, etc), and provide localized area maps with amenities marked on each. For example, if I know that Dearborn has an amazing Middle-Eastern enclave, I'm more apt to have lunch there on a jaunt to Greenfield Village. Clear driving/transit directions to each area would be helpful.

6. Highlight what you have--not what you don't have. Walking tours [[guided and unguided) should not be overlooked, especially ones that highlight Detroit's history and industrial heritage. Maybe don't try so hard to sell the "sports" message--most sports fans already know that you have professional teams. But why does Detroit never play-up its diverse ethnic heritage? Talk about something unique!

7. I think Detroit is a fantastic place to visit. And don't underestimate how many people will see the "Pure Michigan" commercials and completely bypass Detroit on their way Up North or to Lake Michigan. Stopping in Detroit for two or three days is a perfect addition to those destinations. What's the CVB doing to capitalize on that, and make such a "combo visit" easier for folks?

Be what you are, not what you think other people want you to be. Make it easy and enjoyable for people to get to know you. Those are just my thoughts.