Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've never heard anything regarding the soils. As far as why the freeway stops at Van Dyke, back when it was being examined to extend the freeway all the way to 94, then mayor of Utica put the kabosh on the project, as the freeway extension would have required bulldozing the southside of downtown Utica as the freeway was designed.

And regarding 8 mile rd becoming another Hall road, that must be a joke. 8 mile is a wasteland of used car lots, strip clubs, and fast food joints. Good luck convincing affluent stores to setup shop on that road. Yes, I know, I know, there is a Meijer on 8 mile now. I can only imagine what the loss prevention statistics are for that store. Maybe if Detroit neighborhoods stabilize someday and crime is driven down, 8 mile could become a shopping and entertainment mecca. But I think that is in the very, very far future.
    Eastland Center, Northland Center, Michigan State Fairgrounds, Northland Skating Rink, Softball City, Belmont Shopping Center and Bel-Air Shopping Centre would all beg to differ.

Granted, they've all seen better days. But their downfall wasn't the a result of 8 Mile itself an its flaws...
    Last edited by 313WX; October-08-14 at 07:16 AM.