Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    I'm 16, I live in Arizona. I'm currently planning to move from Flagstaff, AZ to Detroit, MI. My home situation is good and not unhealthy my any means. The way it sits with me, and the way I process it toxic. I can't explain it, so you can contact me if you would like to know more of my story. I'm dropping the plans I had for my life that have been in place for about 2 years, and abandoning the way I live. It's going to hurt and it's going to suck and it's going to be hard, but I know and feel that in the end, everything will be alright.
    When I turn 18, I want to move out on my own. Go to Wayne University, and hustle; earn a life for myself. I'm going to remain in contact with my family, of course, but the distance will help. I have no family west of The Rocky Mountains, that I'm aware of. I'll pretty much be alone. If you have any resources, tips anything at all that could help, I would appreciate it if you could contact me. It would be really great, if those in the area [[of Detroit) could help, and give me specific resources and advice.
    i know its not very professional, but for now I'm not telling my parents. I want to be prepared and educated when I drop the ball, so I have to argue less and have less to prove. Thanks in advance, to all of you!!!
    Detroit is a great place to find yourself, but it can be an even better place to lose yourself. I don't know this for sure, but I would venture to guess that anyone who has found them self in Detroit came close to losing them self.

Couple things you might want to know. Detroit is east of the Rockies.

Second, it's Wayne State University and while the education you'll get there, at least from the professional schools, is top notch the degree has limited value. I hate saying that, as I am proud Tartar [[we were Tartars before the communist PC machine that runs the school made them switch to Warriors) but sadly it's true.

Finally, come visit before you move here.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    Detroit is a great place to find yourself, but it can be an even better place to lose yourself. I don't know this for sure, but I would venture to guess that anyone who has found them self in Detroit came close to losing them self.

Second, it's Wayne State University and while the education you'll get there, at least from the professional schools, is top notch the degree has limited value. I hate saying that, as I am proud Tartar [[we were Tartars before the communist PC machine that runs the school made them switch to Warriors) but sadly it's true.

While I very often disagree with GP, he is totally correct that Detroit is a fantastic place to find yourself, but equally as dangerous when it comes to losing yourself. You will meet all types of people, from all walks of life and get to experience all manner of things. Just make sure to keep your head straight, eyes on the prize of growing yourself to be a better human all around and enjoy your time here.

If you have any specific questions though, ask away. That's the best way for us to get you the info you want.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    While I very often disagree with GP, he is totally correct that Detroit is a fantastic place to find yourself, but equally as dangerous when it comes to losing yourself. You will meet all types of people, from all walks of life and get to experience all manner of things. Just make sure to keep your head straight, eyes on the prize of growing yourself to be a better human all around and enjoy your time here.

If you have any specific questions though, ask away. That's the best way for us to get you the info you want.
    Thanks, I get what your saying... I'm hoping to find myself in the process of losing it. I hope that makes sense. [[: Here is a specific question: How much on average would a studio apartment cost, in a decent apartment. With laundry-mat of its own, with the buzz in security, cable/internet ready, and storage [[nothing crazy)?
    Thanks again!!!

Thanks, I get what your saying... I'm hoping to find myself in the process of losing it. I hope that makes sense. [[: Here is a specific question: How much on average would a studio apartment cost, in a decent apartment. With laundry-mat of its own, with the buzz in security, cable/internet ready, and storage [[nothing crazy)?
    Thanks again!!!
    Studio within walking distance of Wayne State will probably be 500-600 for anything that would be considered decent. Expect just internet to run you $20-30, $50-70 if you add in cable. Storage is usually available, but varies from place to place. Some of the places I saw had the chain link fenced in areas in the basement deal, others had better secured storage. Don't expect a ton of room unless you decide to live in a roommate situation in, say, Woodbridge [[which I highly recommend if you are okay with roommates). Buzz in security is, for the most part, standard. Laundry is also hit or miss, mostly coin operated machines. Here are a couple websites to look at, I'll try and find a few more for ya: http://liveinwoodbridge.com/ http://midtowndetroitinc.org/ [[less about the areas, more about the city stuff->) http://hellyeahdetroit.com/ http://detroit.eater.com http://detroiturbex.com/ [[if you enjoy history) I'll post more later, at work so it's a bit hard

But mostly, listen to poobert's advice. Get into a restaurant as a hostess while you're in high school. Get that experience ASAP. Don't worry if people say WSU's degrees are useless paper - college is 50% where you went, 50% who you met. Focus on meeting people and making connections, that is what gets you a job. And as poobert said, never stop loving life.

Keep us updated on things, I will try and find you more stuff to research prior to you coming out this way, if you still choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Studio within walking distance of Wayne State will probably be 500-600 for anything that would be considered decent. Expect just internet to run you $20-30, $50-70 if you add in cable. Storage is usually available, but varies from place to place. Some of the places I saw had the chain link fenced in areas in the basement deal, others had better secured storage. Don't expect a ton of room unless you decide to live in a roommate situation in, say, Woodbridge [[which I highly recommend if you are okay with roommates). Buzz in security is, for the most part, standard. Laundry is also hit or miss, mostly coin operated machines. Here are a couple websites to look at, I'll try and find a few more for ya: http://liveinwoodbridge.com/ http://midtowndetroitinc.org/ [[less about the areas, more about the city stuff->) http://hellyeahdetroit.com/ http://detroit.eater.com http://detroiturbex.com/ [[if you enjoy history) I'll post more later, at work so it's a bit hard

But mostly, listen to poobert's advice. Get into a restaurant as a hostess while you're in high school. Get that experience ASAP. Don't worry if people say WSU's degrees are useless paper - college is 50% where you went, 50% who you met. Focus on meeting people and making connections, that is what gets you a job. And as poobert said, never stop loving life.

Keep us updated on things, I will try and find you more stuff to research prior to you coming out this way, if you still choose to.
    Thanks, I visited those links, and they were a lot of help. I liked the detroiturbex one, it was more than apartments and jobs, it showed life. The midtowndetroitinc one was really helpful, more reliant than the generic apartment.com sites. I'm not really sure about the whole roommate scene yet. I figured the buzz securtity is pretty normal, but I don't want a doorman because I'm sure that costs a lot more, and is for the fancy shmancy places.
    Thank-you so much!!! I will keep you posted.

Thanks, I visited those links, and they were a lot of help. I liked the detroiturbex one, it was more than apartments and jobs, it showed life. The midtowndetroitinc one was really helpful, more reliant than the generic apartment.com sites. I'm not really sure about the whole roommate scene yet. I figured the buzz securtity is pretty normal, but I don't want a doorman because I'm sure that costs a lot more, and is for the fancy shmancy places.
    Thank-you so much!!! I will keep you posted.
    Writing myself a sticky note to toss you a few more links tonight. There is a wealth of info on Detroit, the things that happen here, the adventures people go on, the ruins that can be found as well as the shining gems you don't hear mentioned often. Glad I could be of help!

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post

Thanks, I am so surprised so many people were willing to help