Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
This is the house I grew up in. I0681 Nottingham [[just south of Grayton). Originally two small bedrooms and one bath. Later the second floor was finished in for two more bedrooms. So one bathroom for four bedrooms [[and seven people living in the house). One car detached garage out back. Dinky little closets for the downstairs bedrooms. Tiny kitchen which was too small to eat in. No contractor could ever economically add another bath or larger closets without creating a planning disaster.

Attachment 24163
If the houses on Hibbard didn't have that attached garage, they wouldn't be that much bigger than that house on Nottingham. Those McMansions in Dearborn or Birmingham wouldn't look so out of place if that tiny bungalow wasn't next to it. The McMansions on those narrow lots actually make great use of space because very little space is "wasted."

BTW, why is it that when the garage is in the front, the front entry of the house usually starts way in the back on either side of it or in the middle? Why can't the front entry be flush [[even) with the garage? The space it takes to walk to the front door could be a small office or an attractive entry foyer or hallway. Everytime I visit a house like this, I visually pull the front door forward.