Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
It was originally part of Erin Township, then it was called the Village Of Halfway. It was halfway between Detroit and Mt Clemens.
I grew up there, and after high school I immediately left. It was too quiet, calm, and homogenized. The Wayne State/Cass Corridor neighborhoods beckoned. More diversity. Revolution in the air. Cheap rent.
Later, as my father aged, I was grateful for the quiet and calm in his neighborhood. He safely lived his quiet life in the home he purchased for $7,500 right after WWII.
Now, crime has increased. Too many homes for sale. The old crowd is gone.
Still a lot of potential as a "bedroom community" if jobs come back.
Duh, Bobl, it only takes me re-browsing days later to realize we may have been neighbors at one point or another. The only school I attended was EDHS because I was 14 when we moved there in 1968 [[from Georgia St., of all places). Graduated 1972. Ended up with friends in all corners of the town so I could walk anywhere in town and find someone to hang with. Spent many a summer evening in the early 70s in Kennedy Park with a group of peaceful pals giving the air a smoky, fragrant haze...

My mom sold her house in 1984 [[I'd not lived there for 10 years by that time), but one of my brothers bought a place near 9 and Gratiot in the 1990s. I visited him a few weeks ago. His street seems to have as many unoccupied homes as occupied but everything seems to be reasonably well-kept around there in spite of that. Small consolation since he's right near one of the closed elementary schools...