Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Goodbye K-Mart!

Hybrid View

Back when I was ringing register for K-Mart they had some funny tech issues. If it would rain really, really hard the store's music would go out. When the music went out, so did the ability to ring up items on the register.

We would wait and eventually the music would come back on and that's when we knew the registers would start working again.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Back when I was ringing register for K-Mart they had some funny tech issues. If it would rain really, really hard the store's music would go out. When the music went out, so did the ability to ring up items on the register.

We would wait and eventually the music would come back on and that's when we knew the registers would start working again.
    The store that you worked at must've had some serious roof problems at the time. Was it eventually repaired or did it stay like that until it eventually went out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    The store that you worked at must've had some serious roof problems at the time. Was it eventually repaired or did it stay like that until it eventually went out of business?
    There was a satellite system that would stream in the music from their Kmart Radio thing based from headquarters. It also supplied some functionality to the in-store systems, even though if I remember correctly the in-store downtime was largely due to the fact that everything we used would've already graduated high school and was quickly approaching college graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    There was a satellite system that would stream in the music from their Kmart Radio thing based from headquarters. It also supplied some functionality to the in-store systems, even though if I remember correctly the in-store downtime was largely due to the fact that everything we used would've already graduated high school and was quickly approaching college graduation.
    Well, failures at that distance would be quite unusual-Maple & Livernois is only a couple miles from Coolidge & Big Beaver.

Well, failures at that distance would be quite unusual-Maple & Livernois is only a couple miles from Coolidge & Big Beaver.
    Here is a beautiful insight into Kmart's amazing technological prowess: The station was "DJed" at the HQ in Troy [[and later Hoffman Estates), beamed up via satellite, then received via satellite receiver at the store level. When Maple & Livernois closed in 2008, they hadn't yet discovered that you can stream a good quality radio station via "The Internets".

Seriously, the reason for Kmart being what it is today is Eddie Lampert. When Kmart was flush with cash after the merger and land fire sale they had, they didn't reinvest ANYTHING in their stores. Maple & Livernois did get a very nice refresh, but every other store was still using fixtures from the 80s and 90s. It's really a sad state of affairs.

The liqudation sale at the Southgate store begun today.

The liqudation sale at the Southgate store begun today.

neat. I wonder what all electronics will be on sale.

Now Southgate will have to deal with the big empty large building. Put a Menard's there and leave Gilbralter Trade Center Alone and folks in Downriver will feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    neat. I wonder what all electronics will be on sale.
    As someone who saw a store closing through, the sales are not at all a good deal to anyone except the liquidator who is performing the sale. You'll get 20% off an item which if you waited for coupons or a sale, would be 30-40% off at least. Don't buy into the hype unless you want to go picking through a bunch of terrible crap the last few days of the sale.

I get the impression that the successful retailer will be the one who makes the most use of the data flowing from its cash registers to manage its inventory and distribution, and buying, and cost of selling. My dad did this for the old J.L. Hudson Company in the days before computers and data networks I recall reading that Kmart went through several generations of IT managers and systems without ever finishing one. I think that's what doomed them. Sears is probably toast, too.

Who's next?

My [[suburban) home is within two miles of two Meijers, a Wal-Mart, a Target and a Kroger. I've always admired the Meijer firm for how they did business and for what their owners did for Michigan. But . . .

When I need food, Kroger has the cheapest prices for most [[not all) of the mix of processed and junk foods I live on, and I seldom wait to hand the clerk or the automated device my money. At Meijer, the automated check-out machine seldom works without human intervention, and the lines are several shoppers deep to check out. This is pure IT failure.

When I need sundries like car or bicycle parts, or stationery, or watch batteries, Wal-Mart has the stuff I need. Meijer's used to, but no longer does.

I'm told that Meijer's current CEO is a former university president. Shoulda been an IT guy [[or girl). Sorry Hendrik, it was nice while it lasted, but the signs are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

Are these the two lead paragraphs of the death story of K-Mart?

Like does anyone need to read more?

Why would anyone shop there? Did they run to the nearest Target or Wal-Mart?