Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I am one of those homegrown, urban-Detroit yuppies that have moved back. I would agree that we need more of the same. And simultaneously, I would say that Detroit doesn't exactly welcome us with open arms. It's complicated, I guess.
    Mackinaw made a good point above about the bolded:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    If people move to Detroit trying to really dig in and be Detroiters, not just people existing in a place for the sake of trendiness, I think we'll be much better off.
    For example, there was some event recently in which people who are a part of the demographic discussed in this thread described Detroit as a blank canvas. And while I'm sure they had no malicious intent, it does highlight the strong disconnect many Yuppie newcomers have from long time Detroit residents.

While not referring to you specifically, there are some in your demographic [[and even on this forum) who act as if there isn't more to Detroit beyond downtown/midtown, and that flakiness rightfully rubs many Detroiters who've had to survive these rough conditions for decades the wrong way.

So what I'm trying to basically say is give it time. Considering how much despair Detroiters have faced throughout the years, anyone who claims they come in to help or become a part of the city with good intentions will automatically get the side eye until they walk the walk.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-25-14 at 10:43 PM.