Quote Originally Posted by e.p.3 View Post
So, you're focusing on a sliver [[$335,000) of $118,000,000 in bills? I'd say the other $117,665,000 warrant a bit more of your attention...
I crunched numbers today. I may write up a blog post later, but the numbers make no sense according to everything I have seen available. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...d_to_help.html This article is terrible, but links to a Freep article quoting the $118M number, as well as the report from some activist water people who have plenty of unsourced information. If you go read through, their number of delinquent non-residential customers HAS to be way off. 83k delinquent residential customers x $540 average bill only accounts for $45M. And according to what that report says, the non-residential customers only owe like $36M delinquent. Basically none of the numbers match, however the $45M from residential customers seems to be fairly accurate from what I can see. They actually cited that information, unlike the non-residential numbers.

I think the bigger issue we run into is the "inhumane shutoff" of 3,025 delinquent accounts [[out of 44,273) is less than 10% of delinquent accounts being shutoff. That means roughly 41k people either entered a payment plan, squared up their bills, or were able to get assistance to get their bills right.

DWSD should focus on shutting off non-residential delinquent accounts that are past due more than 60 days. Residential delinquent accounts should be handled with a little bit more care, as these are humans beings in residences. What we don't need is Canadian Water Project People sending crap to the UN about how we're a third world country and this is the worst thing ever. 3,000 delinquent customers [[without access to the cited report, I can't tell you how many of those 3,000 accounts were residential) out of 44,000+ shows that 41,000 people were able to get their stuff straight, and this issue is definitely much much deeper than "inhumane" and "trying to murder poors".