Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
Very unlikely. I'm willing to believe that the "7.2" will have more residents in 2020, but there is nothing I can see happening that would cause the city to have more overall. Where, outside greater downtown, would you expect a rising population within city limits? I can imagine a specific census tract here or there that might gain people, but in general most of the city is still losing folks.
My 2 cents:

- I agree that the 7.2 mi will have more residents.
- While I'm neutral on whether or not there will be population growth, I do believe that the quality of life in some of the neighborhoods will be better. And, more importantly, sustainable. But those gains may be offset by losses from citizens in other neighborhoods that move to the suburbs.
- For example, solid middle-class neighborhoods such as East English Village, Grandmont-Rosedale, Southwest Detroit, Sherwood Forest, and University District are already showing the budding signs of a rebound.

I think that net population growth in the entire city is plausible but certainly not a sure thing. But more importantly, for those neighborhoods like the ones listed above, I'm confident that quality of life and population growth will be way better in 10 years.

We are definitely near or at a tipping point.