Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Chill out...this story is not some overwhelming indictment on metro Detroit's relevance to the world. I am sure other large cities have stories like this run that relate to one of the more popular restaurants in the metro area.
    Well, I mean what's next? reporting on neighbor disputes over privacy fence height? I'm not upset or outraged...just bemused that all three network news did multiple reports on this petty ante suburban zoning fight.

Regarding Vinsetta, I don't blame the neighbors. While I am sure there is an argument regarding this being private property so do as you want, I'd be annoyed if my block was having houses demo'd for parking. Additionally, this was a known issue from the time Vinsetta announced they'd renovate that property into a restaurant. Parking was an issue before construction even started and now the neighbors have to deal with the consequences of that poor planning.
    What is also not discussed is the four houses on Oxford that Vinsetta wants to demo and several of the outraged neighbors ALREADY back up to parking lot for the apartment building behind them.

I'd be annoyed if the neighborhood was having houses demoed for a change in the character of the neighborhood... but they live 4 houses off of Woodward...behind the default commercial center of that region. I think a homeowner on those blocks assumes a certain amount of risk that commercial strip will actually THRIVE and have things like successful restaurants instead of blighted former garages and those successful entities will look to accommodate their patrons.

Does that mean Vinsetta should automatically get the zoning change? no.... but it's not some horrible injustice if they do.
    Last edited by bailey; May-27-14 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, I mean what's next? reporting on neighbor disputes over privacy fence height?
    I have friends who live in ritzy areas in the 'burbs, and yep, that about sums it up. That and battles over "Prayer Stations".