Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
I do think it's a shame that local police [[city, state, or otherwise) have nothing better to do other than to harass people at "Hippy Beach" or anyone with a fishing pole that decides to crack open a cold one. But that's Detroit police for you - they love to wag their finger and look authoritative when there are no risks. Meanwhile, drug dealers ply their trade in open air markets on city streets. In other big cities, large parks like Belle Isle are a place where people can relax and be free, and it's great.

The only real policing issue on Belle Isle, I thought, was that one area where people would literally block the road as they sat on the trunks of their parked cars and either a) mean-mugged, or b) talked to a friend idling his car in the center of the street. That was ridiculously anti-social.
Yep, and the ONLY thing I avoided in over 30 years of enjoying the island...that is the Friday and Saturday night stuff that kept me away. The rest of the time, in my experience the island has been fine...other than the official and corporate obstructions.

As for Honky going after my comments about the pigmentation of the law enforcement officers...I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, the chance to correct a very stupid staffing decision. Unless, of course, they tried...and couldn't find anyone of color within the ranks of the DNR or State Police willing to be the face of this hostility.

<sigh>

Either way, the problems remain...we'll see how the rest of the warmer months progress.