Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Smoke Free Bars

Hybrid View

rjk, chitaku, and Bloomfield Pills YOU ARE right. While, I read this side of DY, I rarely post here. But your clear statements about personal rights drew me in. As a Colbert Conservative and Social Darwinist I felt an obligation to share.

Nebraska hasn’t outlawed the personal right to commit suicide by cigarette, cigar, or pipe…it has limited where one can do it. Not in bars or restaurants. They say it is "for our own good" and the good of the persons who freely choose to earn a living in such establishments. As if there is any proof that second hand smoke does anything but give pleasure to those who inhale it. Hell there have been supposed research done by “medical researchers” in the state that says a side effect after the first year of the ban is that “community health” or some such thing has improved! Who cares?

I am against anything that limits my personal freedom to do whatever I want when I want. Wear seatbelts? Personal choice. Go to school until age 16? Personal choice. Follow OSHA guidelines while working construction? Personal choice. Wear a helmet while riding my Harley? Personal choice. Come to a full stop at a STOP sign when a rolling stop is all that is needed to avoid a collision? Personal choice. Same thing about stop lights when there’s no cross traffic coming. Pay taxes to support a park or library? Personal choice. Have usury limits on what banks can charge for loans? Personal choice. I could go on and on, but you get the point.

Each and every one of those things are examples of government unfairly impinging on your and my freedom to do what I want and to keep what is mine. Like you, I am all about me, and to hell with those liberals who want to impose their version of the "common good" or "general welfare" on me.

Who needs society when we have the 10 Commandments to tell us how to live. And the nice thing about the 10 Commandments is they are optional and only guidelines that I can opt to ignore if I think they unfairly impinge on my freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha View Post
    ...whole lotta false equivalencies and generally selfish, prosmoking crap...
    I hear ya about the personal choice stuff. I think it's unfair that the gummint won't let me exercise my personal choice of not suffering someone else's disgusting and harmful drug habit when I want to patronize a restaurant or bar.