Retroit and Downtown diva make good points whether or not you like what they're saying or the way they're saying it. Don't shoot the messengers. I love Detroit and visit often. In fact, the DIA, DFT, neighborhood bars and festivals and block parties, such as The Dalley, are far better than most anything in the burbs. I left Detroit many years ago to buy a house to live in. I owned property in the city but it wasn't a good, long term investment. My residence quadrupled in value in 20 years. My investment properties in Detroit went south during the crack epidemic. My friends were departing, mostly from the SW side, starting in the late 60's. They weren't fleeing crime or racial problems. They had doubts about the long term viability of the city and its schools. Most of them stayed gone. I've watched the cycle repeat itself many times in the 40 plus years since. Now I'm seeing another generation repeat the cycle except for one major criteria, they can't sell their homes for a fraction of what they've paid. In the past, most would take a loss just to get out. Now people are completely under water. During the crack epidemic I saw lifers who lived and worked in Detroit moving to my neighborhood in the burbs. Just in the last few months, I've entertained a few Detroit, Highland Park, Hamtramck lifers who have moved, or are considering moving, to A2. The cost of housing can be daunting, even in this economy. All it takes in most cases is a stolen auto or a break in. Couple that with a smart ass cop or no police response at all, and it's time to be gone. It's called adding insult to injury. You can love Detroit and acknowledge its problems.