Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Oakland mall has a lot of crime, that entire area is going down hill, a lot has to do with if being by 75, easy acces for criminals to escape. a lot of empty stores right behind the mall, ex old circuit city, a lot nicer cleaner newer malls in the area, somerset. The outdoor mall in rochester, partridge creek.
    That's it. ONE, former Circuit City store that's empty. I'm not saying John R/14 Mile is the new Hall Rd or whatever but it's always busy on a Saturday afternoon and there's many business parks around there. K-Mart's old HQ is still empty, does this make Somerset "ghetto"? Hardly.

The area has not gone down hill. Just because the demographics have changed doesn't mean it's gone down hill.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    The area has not gone down hill. Just because the demographics have changed doesn't mean it's gone down hill.
    Oakland Mall area has most definitely gone downhill.

Oakland Mall Hudsons was the highest grossing Hudsons in Michigan during the 1980's and 1990's. Oakland Mall was the highest grossing mall in Metro Detroit.

Now the current Macys struggles, the mall has lots of vacancies [[and tons of low end stores- dollar stores, cash for gold and a puppy mill). Somerset North killed Oakland Mall.

Just to illustrate how bad things have fallen, Lord & Taylor signed a lease for a new store, as part of a mall expansion, around 15 years ago. They later cancelled, and project was scrapped. Can you imagine such a proposal now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Oakland Mall area has most definitely gone downhill.

Oakland Mall Hudsons was the highest grossing Hudsons in Michigan during the 1980's and 1990's. Oakland Mall was the highest grossing mall in Metro Detroit.

Now the current Macys struggles, the mall has lots of vacancies [[and tons of low end stores- dollar stores, cash for gold and a puppy mill). Somerset North killed Oakland Mall.

Just to illustrate how bad things have fallen, Lord & Taylor signed a lease for a new store, as part of a mall expansion, around 15 years ago. They later cancelled, and project was scrapped. Can you imagine such a proposal now?

I'm agreeing with dtownlover. Oakland Mall is not going downhill. It's not a ghetto mall like Northland or Eastland. I go there myself and I haven't see empty storefronts and closed up anchors. Lot's a Asians and East Indian love to hang out there along with the middle class white folks from Troy and Birmingham and other areas. It's still booming today like it did back in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    L&T also was owned by May who briefly owned then sold Marshall Fields to Macy's. It was during Marshall Field ownership at that time they abandoned any expansion of stores in the Detroit market as they were already well stored. A lot of people assume that L&T was closed at Fairlane due to the issue with the rent a cop murdering the thief, but it was actually the first of many divestments that May found themselves with when they realized that they had many stores competing against each other for the same market share.

Frankly, I am surprised at you Bham. You typically know your stuff. I may not agree with it all the time, but you typically base your positions on more than just what the rah-rah-sis-boom-bah crowd says.