Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

As a history buff, I have visited the Museums of AA History in Boston & Philadelphia, the African-American Civil War Memorial in DC, spent my first visit to Mt. Vernon [[as a kid) traipsing about the slave quarters, asking so many questions of the staff that I was told that I asked more questions than anyone they had had there. And I am fairly sure I have visited more historically black churches than most black people have [[I have a fascination with churches in general and have visited hundreds). I think the Wright Museum is great. I haven't been in the last six months; I will have to go soon. I am sad to hear that it is a little tattered. I do think schoolkids should go, as I feel that they should visit a broad variety of history museums and sites. I benefitted greatly from visiting Ellis Island, even though my ancestors did not pass through there. I have been to the Smithsonian's Native American museum in DC. Alas, I wish I could say that was a good museum, but it was not. Good history museums- whether general or niche- are beneficial to kids [[and the general public), even though

Instead of subsidizing the Wright Museum, perhaps the city's CVB could emphasize it to visitors more. I just can't believe it doesn't get a lot of visitors. I hope it can turn that around. They should [[maybe they already do and I am not aware) market a cultural pass to visitors that would cover admission to the art museums and Detroit Historical Museum along with the CHW Museum. I would also aggressively offer a discount to visitors to the Motown Museum and The Henry Ford [[show your ticket, get 50% off kinda thing).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    As a history buff, I have visited the Museums of AA History in Boston & Philadelphia, the African-American Civil War Memorial in DC, spent my first visit to Mt. Vernon [[as a kid) traipsing about the slave quarters, asking so many questions of the staff that I was told that I asked more questions than anyone they had had there. And I am fairly sure I have visited more historically black churches than most black people have [[I have a fascination with churches in general and have visited hundreds). I think the Wright Museum is great. I haven't been in the last six months; I will have to go soon. I am sad to hear that it is a little tattered. I do think schoolkids should go, as I feel that they should visit a broad variety of history museums and sites. I benefitted greatly from visiting Ellis Island, even though my ancestors did not pass through there. I have been to the Smithsonian's Native American museum in DC. Alas, I wish I could say that was a good museum, but it was not. Good history museums- whether general or niche- are beneficial to kids [[and the general public), even though

Instead of subsidizing the Wright Museum, perhaps the city's CVB could emphasize it to visitors more. I just can't believe it doesn't get a lot of visitors. I hope it can turn that around. They should [[maybe they already do and I am not aware) market a cultural pass to visitors that would cover admission to the art museums and Detroit Historical Museum along with the CHW Museum. I would also aggressively offer a discount to visitors to the Motown Museum and The Henry Ford [[show your ticket, get 50% off kinda thing).
    Museums usually obtain, at best, 10 - 20% of their budget from earned revenue, including admission, parking, and gift shop sales. CHW could increase their attendance tenfold an it isn't going to make a dent. Your solution isn't a solution at all, except that maybe it would entice donors to see it as a more relevant institution.

Virtually all major museums are institutions that depend entirely on philanthropy.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Your solution isn't a solution at all.
    I didn't mean to propose a solution. Obviously, most museums are subsidized through either government or charity. I do think if more people visited [[locals and tourists alike), more people would donate directly or businesses sponsor exhibits and programs.

I think this museum should appeal to enough people [[and not just black people) that it could raise the money.