Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

My 1940 City Guide shows 8101 as being the Hungarian Colony Club. My guess is that they may have had a restaurant in the building under that name "Night In Budapest".

In my 1953 Guide it is listed as "Club Basin St Restaurant with the name of Wm. Kader.

Street view?

1940 residents
    Name:  1940-hungarian-colony-club.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  47.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    In my 1953 Guide it is listed as "Club Basin St Restaurant with the name of Wm. Kader.
    Club Basin Street was a jazz club. Part of the southwest side/downriver "black and tan" [[ie, mixed-race audiences) Detroit jazz club scene of that time, along with the better-known West End Hotel and the Rouge Lounge. Lars Bjorn and Jim Gallert's book "Before Motown" shows a 1953 ad for Club Basin St. advertising a Kenny Burrell-led band with Frank Foster, Harold McKinney, and Paul Chambers.