Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I've never seen a credible study either. But I can tell you that much of Downtown Detroit's success would not have happened with the Wings in Auburn Hills [[where they were headed). Sports teams in the City do help, IMO.
    Who does it help when the main money maker of the deal also buys a huge chuck of land around it to make more business in which they will get more money. Maybe there will be some part-time seasonal work starting at $7.40 an hour for a few lucky pheasants.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Who does it help when the main money maker of the deal also buys a huge chuck of land around it to make more business in which they will get more money. Maybe there will be some part-time seasonal work starting at $7.40 an hour for a few lucky pheasants.
    Who does it help?

1) It helps the property owners who sold the land at increased prices,

2) It helps the workers who are employed. [[Don't we all want jobs in Detroit, not Auburn Hills),

3) It brings several hundred million dollars a year of economic activity to your door, not someone elses,

4) It helps those on the path of travel by shifting activity to the Buddy's Pizza in Dearborn where the Wayne resident stops on the way to the Arena -- rather than helping the Troy or Auburn Hills business,

5) It helps the image of Detroit nationally -- as a place where things happen. Instead of being a place that's famous for being avoided. I think Ford Field and Comerica Park being shown on national TV as part of Downtown Detroit is very positive for our image.

6) It helps give those who like to whine about anyone else's success something to bitch about. I don't care for Mike Ilitch, but I don't care if he makes money, so long as he does so in Detroit. I'm glad we can have someone with whom we can argue about how to develop Detroit -- rather than watch him develop Auburn Hills.