Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Is there a sufficient tax base in Detroit to support requisite municipal services
    after the bankruptcy process is completed? I think not. Detroit is one of many school districts and cities in Michigan than no longer have a tax base sufficient to support the area's government. I wonder when this will be recognized?

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Is there a sufficient tax base in Detroit to support requisite municipal services
    after the bankruptcy process is completed? I think not. Detroit is one of many school districts and cities in Michigan than no longer have a tax base sufficient to support the area's government. I wonder when this will be recognized?
    I believe that it is a requirement that the reorganization plan be 'sustainable'. Government will be downsized as necessary. Contracts rewritten. Labor agreements finally at long last reset to remove impediments to efficient operation [[work rules, etc.) Pension plans reworked to protect current pensions to a great degree [[loss probably only of pennies on the dollar).

I don't think there's any reason to think it can't be done. The only reason it hasn't been done is politics and labor law. Politics resists change and pushed problems to future. Labor law just doesn't have provisions to modernize the work relationship. They still written for GM and US Steel in the 1940s. They really need an overhaul to protect all workers, not just the favored 2%.