Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Lowell, I completely agree about the mixture of meanings at the site. There are elements of tragedy, hope, art and commerce. Seeing some sort of revival, in whatever form, will be wonderful.

I am not sure how preserving ruins would occur. The buildings there are not the Acropolis. They are deteriorating much too quickly, and somewhat unpredictability, to ever be safe to tour on the inside. Can you imagine what the insurance premiums would be? I would also have concern about how a deliberately maintained ruin would affect the value of any renovated areas.

I think creating an "Industrial Detroit" extension of the DHM would be a cool idea. Renovating a space inside the plant, with exhibits, pictures and relics from Detroit's industrial past. That could be a way to show the history & architecture of the city's auto plants, and other industries, too. Kind of like The Henry Ford, but focused specifically on the rise and fall of the plants.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; November-17-13 at 02:30 PM.