Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I am not a big fan of sentencing rules. I think various crimes should just have standard sentences. But, as our system currently is established, judges have some discretion on sentencing. That being the case, remorse is one of the criteria that is taken into account. If Kwame had been sorry and apologetic from the get go, I think the judge would have been within his rights to be a little lenient. Like I said though, if I were designing the system, I would only allow discretion in sentencing for those that assist further law enforcement [[i.e., testify against others).
    Well, Mikey, if a felon does not "wriggle and turn" and fight the conviction, but says to the judge "I am guilty and throw myself at the mercy of the court", he does not force the state into a long trial and use up state resources. This should certainly be a factor in sentencing. Kwame didn't do this, but tried every subterfuge possible to avoid being found guilty. Throw the book at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Well, Mikey, if a felon does not "wriggle and turn" and fight the conviction, but says to the judge "I am guilty and throw myself at the mercy of the court", he does not force the state into a long trial and use up state resources. This should certainly be a factor in sentencing. Kwame didn't do this, but tried every subterfuge possible to avoid being found guilty. Throw the book at him.
    Agreed, Hermod. Although this might be most effectively done upfront when determining what/how many charges to file.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Agreed, Hermod. Although this might be most effectively done upfront when determining what/how many charges to file.
    Based on what the judge presiding over the case sentenced Bobby and Kwame to I'm almost certain had they taken a plea deal they would not have received more than 10 years. She choose not to go above and beyond, which she could have but didn't.