Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

More money to hire some fire and police officers is great. More money to tear down abandoned buildings is great. However, what caught my eye was the money [[$24 million) for repairing busses and installing security cameras on them. Don't get me wrong, that's a nice idea. However, in the long run wouldn't it be better to use that money for a light rail system and just replace busses overall?

I mean when a bus breaks down it's not in service. If it's not in service the security camera is not in service. Wouldn't a single light rail car [[admittedly most expensive to build) have fewer maintenance problems than a single bus? And wouldn't the cost of the security cameras and their use be more beneficial on a vehicle that is rarely pulled out of service for repairs?

I'm combining two different issues but in the long run my argument is about the efficient use of those government dollars. Also, I do understand that all transportation routes can't be serviced by light rail transit. However, given the costs to maintain a bus - diesel fuel and its polluting effects, replacing tires, replacing oil and repairing engines, this might be the moment when, as a region, we say, "It's time to invest in a transit system that's eco-friendly and low-maintenance." That $24 million could go to expand light rail on another route or get the M1 rail to Eight Mile and beyond. Just putting it out there.
    Last edited by royce; September-28-13 at 09:22 AM.