Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
I agree, this comment had nothing to do with race.

As goes GM, so goes Detroit. The city behaved just like the auto companies. We're #1, we know it, and you bend to our will. If you think like that long enough, you will find out that you were wrong. That's been Detroit's problem.

Here's an example. I found out recently that Oakland County moved all new employees to defined contribution plans many years ago. Detroit didn't. I like defined benefit more myself -- but the reality is that it isn't sustainable -- even if you're Oakland County. So when times got tough. OC's pension plans are just fine. And Detroit's is collapsing like a Madoff ponzi scheme.

Let me briefly say here that I do think that what drove Detroit off the cliff was 90% globalization, deindustrialization, and failure to regionalize/socialize urban costs. But 10% is Detroit's fault -- and collectively we're only now starting to accept blame. Most of the problem really isn't ours. But only we can fix our 10%. So let's get on it.
Your right about about how the city acted, but to lump Detroit auto history into one nice neat statement is an extremely narrow view. The history of auto industry here in the city is far more complicated than that.
Also I get that changing times doomed us, but how would "regionalize/socialize" have helped the city? I would like to know your views.