Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
Parking and bathrooms? Are you trying to yuppify John's Carpet House? Just go and try it out if your are driven by the Blues.
I bet you're younger than we are.....these considerations are of utmost importance, to those of us of a certain age, regardless of the dedication to the music.

Ok,

The bathroom is a portajohn. Parking is basically up and down St. Aubin, or halfway up one of the nearby blocks. Easy to figure out. The later you arrive, the further you'll have to park; maybe you'll have to walk a block or more.

They start up after 3:00 p.m., probably so that the church across the street is over before they start. Also, many of the musicians have played the night before and probably don't start up again too early.

As I said, it is a "grown folks" crowd [["grown" being not so much an age distinction, but a euphamism for "not knuckleheads"). This is a "grown" crowd; who want no trouble, just a good, Blues listening time.

There are always some whites there, and lots of real blues enthusiasts [[so Honkey Tonk, you might actually know someone there, black or white).

There's always food being sold - bbq dinners, polish and italian sausage, hot dogs, burgers and the like. Hubby and I ate pretty well for about $25, all total. You can also bring your own food, or a cooler. Some folks have an entire picnic set up.

They sell pop and beverages, too.

You have to bring your own stronger beverages [[I'm a teetoler so the details on this aren't my baliwick).

Bring your own chairs. Maybe an umbrella for the sun, if that's a concern.

It's all laid back and casual. When I've gotten there late, I've had to sit where I couldn't see well, but I could sure hear the music. When I"ve gotten there early, I've been right up front. Just follow the seating, you'll figure it out.

It's a friendly crowd.

It goes, more or less until about 9:00 or dark. I like to be out earlier than that.

It's one of those real, Dee-troit musical experiences.