Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
Anyone actually know what percentage of the art is owned by the city? I know some is in trust, etc. etc. I ask because would the city be required to sell ALL of the art it owns if creditors demand it? And if it's a good portion, could there be a 90% empty art museum or something?

Also, I know the argument about federal laws trumping state laws...but is there no federal guidance on how stuff in a museum should be treated? Say, if Congress refused to raise the debt ceiling [[don't know if this is a good example), could the Smithsonian be forced to sell all of it's assets to satisfy creditors? That seems odd...but could that happen?
All of the art is owned by the city of Detroit, not even the DIA disputes that. Now whether or not it can be sold, since much of the art is donated, is a different story. And it has nothing to do with the creditors demanding it, but whether Steve Rhodes would consider the selling of DIA art work an equitable plan.

BTW, most of the art in the DIA is not on display at once. My understanding is that the art work is generally displayed in rotation.