Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
I'm oversimplifying it perhaps, but I'm just saying I place more value on a person's intelligence, wisdom and integrity than how much experience they've had running anything. I look for a mayor who is smart enough to know how to pick a good leadership team, and develop [[as firstandten said) some metrics to hold that leadership team accountable. I also want to be able to trust them and know they aren't fleecing the city.

I want a mayor who can see through bs, wherever it's being shoveled and won't be afraid to call it what it is. I want a thinker who can formulate ideas and plans or at least properly critique the ones being formulated by others. I want a mayor who demonstrates that he/she is quick on their feet - I have no confidence in slow thinkers.
I think some of those things go hand in hand, but I agree.

I often look at the caliber of organization the candidate comes from. Someone that was a senior partner at McKinsey probably has a far better understanding of how to run a project successfully than someone that has a $45k/year consulting business.