cla1945 and all.....thanks for your comments. All digested and appreciated. As to that 50k pension, I can only figure she is under the new pension plan that was adopted in 1969. Under the previous plan, which I am under, the maximum pension benefit is 15/22 of a police officers pay. A PO would get 11/22, detectives and up a higher amount up to the max. But the 50k statement is suspect.

It will be interesting to see what comes of all this, but it will take years of court battles, injunctions, appeals, and other whatnot to enrichen the lawyers. The best thing we have in our favor just right now is the Michigan Constitution, which prohibits tampering with pensions. Frankly, my view is that it obligates the State to supplement the funding, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Yeah, I'm an old guy. I'm 77 and unfortunately in excellent shape. The city would love for me to curl up and go away, but I'm counting on another dozen years .... at least. And every day is a blessing that I shall enjoy to the fullest. Unless the Tigers don't start getting some runs, that is.