Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I can live with that position. My issue is with a law that allows deadly force based on one's subjective experience and makes not demand to de-escalate potential conflict as a first choice.

There's a reason why we have rules of engagement in military conflict; all it takes is one misunderstanding and two countries can be at war. The worst thing is that you can now have two people arguing with each other claiming that they both turned to deadly force because they both feared for their life...knowing that the legal system will always favor the survivor against the deceased, we are now providing incentive to be the first to shoot and with the biggest gun.

I don't see this as a moral or legal positive in any way.
    yes, little about this situation seems morally nor legally positive.

Certainly having everyone turn to lethal force and explaining it away with 'fear for their life' is bad. But it begs the question of what is appropriate when you are being physically assaulted. What are you allowed to do?

Let's assume that Martin ends up being pinned to the ground with Zimmerman pounding Martin's head into the ground. Can Martin grab Zimmerman's gun and shoot Zimmerman? And if not, what can he do if the aggressor won't stop the violence?
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; July-15-13 at 10:07 AM.