Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
So you know five people with those credentials? Note that I said "substantial".

Five of the eleven tenants in my three-unit building in Brooklyn have those credentials.

Not discounting your opinion -- but I was working at a firm in Detroit where everyone had that pedigree, yet only two of the 30+ members of the firm lived in the city proper. And this was in the midst of Broderick taking reservations. I made my case very clear to my colleagues that the city was safe, I enjoyed my lifestyle, etc. etc...

The issue had nothing to do with neither supply nor demand. Matter of fact, most of them didn't even spend their weekends in Detroit, opting instead to spend time with their friends in other cities. But I'd say the momentum has [[slightly) shifted toward a greater acceptance of downtown Detroit as a place to live.
I can't speak for the larger demographic trends, only anecdotally. The elite MBAs that I've known frequenting downtown were either automotive, on contract with a downtown employer like BCBS, or were at Deloitte and PWC, both with major offices downtown.

There's definitely a shift, as my next roommate is a PSU grad from out-of-state working for a major logistics company and doing 12-month rotations at various client-sites. Another candidate was a recent PhD candidate in higher ed down in Florida trying to get into admin at UDM or WSU. 5 years ago, those people weren't even looking downtown, they were solid Royal Oak prospects.

You are right though, Detroit isn't a magnet for the high-caliber and elite [[yet).