Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Is it possible that this situation is a bit deeper and darker than the picture you're looking at.
    Not living in Detroit and knowing all the facts, the situation I'm raising here is pure speculation.
    It just seems illogical that a city like Flint would go out on such a financial limb unless there was reason to back the situation. If what the OP is saying is true, that the project would cost 274 mil. and they're paying Detroit 15 mil. a year, it would take them almost two decades to break even. If they need to create a treatment plant and maintain a water system, my guess is that it would take them at least three decades. What would be the point in doing something like that without reasonable cause.

Is it possible that in doing 15 million dollars of business with Detroit for water each year they might be privy to some information the average Detroit citizen isn't.

If it's true what Det. Planner stated, that the city pays 1 billion a year to maintain its water system, and Detroit is facing bankruptcy, is it possible that Orr is considering a deal to sell it off to a multi-national corporation. The companies are working so hard to find a legal way to tap the water of the Great Lakes, being able to purchase a system that's already in place would be like a dream come true for them. Not only offer to take over a system, privatize it, save the city 1 billion a year and possibly offer the city an extra billion to do so would be chump change to them and sound like a dream to the city in its financial crisis.

They've been doing this all over the world as clean drinking water is rapidly becoming a commodity equal, and possibly at some close point in the future worth more than oil. They stalk countries, especially in South America and buy out their public water systems. The outcome is never good and once they gain control, it's theirs.

If what Detroit Planner said is true, and it sounds about right, that 1 penny a gallon you currently pay could easily rise to 10 cents a gallon. As a private company they would have the right to sell the water to anyone for any price they deemed profitable. If it was worth more for them to ship it elsewhere for 11 or 12 cents a gallon, well then, you pay the market price. They are doing this right now in other places and these companies are as large or larger than Halliburton. They simply shut off your tap water if you can't pay the price and divert it to the most profitable place.

Again, this is merely speculation, but why would Flint be doing something like this without some reasoning to back it up? If I were a citizen of Detroit I would be very skeptical of what's going on here. As an American citizen, I'm extremely skeptical about what's being allowed to happen to our public water systems in general. Detroit is however appearing to be somewhat crippled with this bankruptcy going forward and I'll guarantee the vultures are hovering.

Look back to the OP's other thread.Proposed regional water authority could be a $50M boost for Detroit

I believe there was even another thread concerning this issue but I couldn't find it.

Do some research about what these multi-national corporations are doing to buy up municipal water systems and draw your own conclusions. I just think there's more going on here than meets the eye.
    The fly in the ointment of your scenario is Orr answers to Snyder, and I really don't think the State Govenor, Republican, Democrat, or Satan himself, would allow anyone to gain control of the State's natural resources. However DWSD is horribly mismanaged, and I can see a regional authority or outside company managing it within set guidelines. If you want to save the world's water systems, and land for that matter, end fracking.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-02-13 at 07:15 AM.