We cares what suburbanites won't go to the store. There are some who will. There are Detroiters who don't shop in Detroit at all but go to the burbs and there are those who live in the burbs and do what shopping they can in the city.

The point of the Meijer opening is to provide an option for people- it's not to cater to Detroit or the burbs. There is a void and it needs to be filled and if you like it good.. if you don't do go.

To all the big box haters- When was the last time a mom and pop opened up and other mom and pops followed? Chains open up based on research etc and when one opens usually other chains be it big or small open up as well.

"Patrick Will a high theft rate drive it away like the Target on 8 Mile?"
^ I don't think theft alone pushed the Bellaire Target away- I am sure the face that it wasn't easily visible from the street had something to do with it as well.

"If a Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or Home Depot decides to expand in your small town or neighborhood all of the residents of the city or town it is in and everyone from miles around can still make a choice not to shop there and support locally owned and operated businesses."
^^^I couldn't agree more

"It's nearly impossible to find an employee at Meijer when you need help. Go to Harbortown Market, Honeybee, Indian Village Market, or any other and you'll find someone in the next isle willing to help."
^^ I will remember this when I want some clothes, toys, a bike, electronics, etc... because these stores provide them.