Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    antogast, so what you are saying is that Detroit style gentrification is unique and does not follow the dictionary understanding of the term?
    Every place is unique to some extent. I doubt gentrification in New York looks exactly the same as it does in San Francisco, either. I'm calling what I see happening in Detroit "gentrification" because I can't think of another word that describes it better. I don't think I'm the only one doing this. If you prefer to give it a different name, please feel free, although you might consider something less unwieldy than "a bunch of people being kicked out of their place because a new owner does not want them there" if you want it to catch on.
    The buildings you refer to by Cass Park have not become havens for the rich. The affluent have not moved in and there are no plans in the offing. I wish there were, but I have not seen such plans, can you share those plans with the rest of the class?
    I get the feeling you're being deliberately obtuse here.
    On the subject of the NSO or Tommy Boy, have they closed? You offer those as examples, but only as one possible scenario out of thousands.
    I used them as examples of gentrifiers complaining about evidence of poverty in their gentrifying neighborhood, even when it's not hurting them and shouldn't affect them personally. Sorry for not making that clear.
    but let's look at moving they NSO.

if all that hateful gentrification takes place, and untold thousands of moneyed latte sippers move in and rehab those buildings I assume the poor folks would move somewhere else.
    That's one possible outcome. The point I'm trying to make here is that other outcomes are possible beyond that. Why can't latte-sippers and poor folks coexist in an economically integrated neighborhood?
    Last edited by antongast; April-25-13 at 03:00 PM.