but I'm still not getting why Detroit, as opposed to, say Tulsa, or Tacoma.
Tulsa's too far away, I'd like to stay close-ish to the border. The southern US doesn't really attract me in terms of the culture, either. Don't fancy bible belt livin'. I also grew up on the west coast, just north of the border with Washington state and it's not my scene. In that I don't make ro smoke meth, nor do I have any interest in yoga or chakra alignment. OK, I'm being slightly facetious, but I'm not a west coast type in terms of personality.

Go to Pittsburgh.
Why? You heart the D. You don't want overeducated dicks like me in town? You think it's a hellhole unsuitable for all but the most emotionally attached? What? I have noticed a certain unwelcoming vibe at times, expressed by a few people. Why is this? Is it class? Race? Something else? Please clarify.

Hmmm. So, lots of Detroit ppl are advising me to pick Pittsburgh. Is Detroit THAT crime ridden? I mean, everywhere, every single neighbourhood? Would I be unsafe walking alone at night in EVERY nabe in the city?

For what it's worth I spent 3 years in south London [[UK not Ontario) in the late 90's/early 00's in Clapham/Brixton [[NOT the gentrified part) so I'm not completely unfamiliar with 'rough' areas. I know not to go wandering through rough areas at midnight dripping gold.

Thank you to all who have replied so far, even the bickerpantses. Thank you p69rrh51 for the photos [[more links to more photos welcome and encouraged). How charmed am I that there's a neighbourhood called the Cabbage Patch? Very.