Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That was when Democrats were the conservative party.

The Republican party was formed after the previous liberal party split over the issue of slavery, and the Republicans, the more liberal part of that party, won. Part of the new party was called the "radical republicans" because of how far to the left they were.

Then there were changes within the parties during the 30s, and the Democratic party became the liberal party, and the Republicans the conservative one. Then over the years as the Democratic party embraced civil rights, white southerners left the part and joined the republicans, and the remaining "rockefeller republicans" from the north east generally became democrats.

So the south has pretty much always been conservative and the north has always been liberal.

But anyway, even though politicians and the government have a big influence on places, everyone agrees that Detroit has had bad leadership for a long time. You're not going to find many democrats who think the leadership in detroit is good or represents their beliefs.
    Excellent post! Amazing how few people realize the parties have switched sides. Whenever I see McCain or his like say they're proud to be part of the party of Lincoln or TR I think to myself that if Lincoln could see the Republican party today he'd pull that hat down over his face. I like Rachel, her show is mostly low-key and didactic. I will say that some of the other guys on MSNBC are quite polemic. But nothing compared to the right-wing media horror.
    Last edited by KarmicCurse; March-19-13 at 04:28 AM.