Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
Curious. ...snip...
I hope that Duggan's stance on Detroit's financial emergency isn't just to score cheap political points with urban residents who don't like the idea of an EM. The track record of EMs in Michigan is mixed, to be fair. But also, anyone who is going to be the next mayor is going to have to take an honest hard look at the city's fiscal and bureaucratic state of affairs. For over 50 years now, tax policy in America, from the federal level to the state level to the local level has seen more accommodations and loopholes for big business and the affluent, demanding less of them while by default demanding more of the working-middle class and the poor. Suburban sprawl was in part subsidized by federal dollars. Manufacturing moved to rural and unincorporated communities, as well as to foreign countries. Urban cores, by default, have been decimated. Only in the past 10 years have we finally seen the "ultimate" consequences of these independent-but-collaborative socioeconomic events, which is the insolvency of municipalities. When the remaining residents of a city are largely poor, many of whom are unemployed or underemployed, this means that there will be a lower overall tax revenue to help facilitate city services....snip...
Much truth -- but also much excusing those who have failed too. Both sides need reform. Not just pointing at the other and deflecting blame.

I too was surprised to hear Duggan's stance on EFM. It probably is necessary to get elected, so after the election he'll likely act differently, as Obama has with drones and OBL. There are things you need to do that would never pass popular election.

Does he really believe it? I do wonder. More important -- will it work. If he can really get reform done through politics? I don't see a willingness in labor or administration to do things a new way. But if there's any chance for non-EFM, its Duggan.