Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    In their defense...what would it matter? It's maybe 5? 10 million there that they could cut if they cut right to the bone?

Hundreds of millions in structural deficits and 15 billion in debt, if the CC fires all staff and turns in the keys to the city vehicle, that isn't going to do anything. At best it would be good PR, but really, like anything else done outside of bankruptcy, it's still just rearranging deck chairs.
    The posts on here crack me up. [[NOT yours in particular) Every couple of days, someone posts something about cutbacks, and the general reply is, "That's only $5 mil, or $6 mil, or $13 mil. I bet if you started adding all the "mils" up, it would start turning into a significant number.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The posts on here crack me up. [[NOT yours in particular) Every couple of days, someone posts something about cutbacks, and the general reply is, "That's only $5 mil, or $6 mil, or $13 mil. I bet if you started adding all the "mils" up, it would start turning into a significant number.
    No, I get it and I agree. However, my point is that the time for tinkering at the margins is long past. Staff cuts here and there... fringe benefit cuts here and there... are all well and good, but Detroit is never going to right itself making marginal tweaks. Wholesale across the board change needs to happen and it's likely not going to outside of BK or an FM with BK like powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Honky Tonk... your comment reminded me of the comment of the late great Illinois US Senator Everett McKinley Dirksen about the federal government spending... "a billion here and a billion there... and pretty soon it adds up to real money!"...