Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
This has always been sold as a way to get cross-country truckers to drive slightly north of Ohio, at least on the way to Canada.

It is bs, since trucks cannot magically double their loads by crossing a state line.

So it MUST be a nod to businesses only working within the state. Who runs heavy here with a one-way delivery?! Trash? Car Parts? Water. Sand. Other mined materials. Farming, although I cannot imagine 164,000 pounds of anything edible in one truck.

Hell, it used to be gas, too, until all those double-bottomed tankers flipped and burned that one summer.

I can see how the limits were introduced, and why they stay. Some of the heaviest hitters in the state suffer if it goes down...and their suppliers, ready for 164,000 pound loads, have a virtual monopoly. Who's to bet that Matty is in on this, too?!
The watsefulness of the heavy limits drives me insane, but you can cut your load in half when crossing state lines by pulling two trailers with one cab. It's done with steel hauling all the time.

I also call BS on the lower weights means more trucks argument. Truck transport competes with rail. Two trucks means two times the shipping cost.