Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Some information on construction dates and additions

Chadsey: Original plant completed in 1931, Phys. Ed unit 1963.

The final addition [[Math, Social Studies, Art, Music, JROTC) on the back of the school was started in 1982 and actually completed in February 1983 during my Freshman year there. Most of the windows on the wings of the building were enclosed and made single windows to conserve energy.

We completely moved out of the Munger Junior High building next door at the start of the second semester. We moved late due to the teachers strike that year.

Eastern/M.L. King: Was built by Smith Hinchman and Grylis the same group that constructed Kettering. Both were built to split up the Old Eastern attendance area. Auditorium was completed in 1983, my brothers class was the first to graduate at King. All of King's graduations prior were held at Kettering.

Auditorium is the only part of the original building that remains on the new King campus construction.

Old Eastern E. Grand Blvd and Mack: Physical Education wing and pool was built between 1927-28. Cafeteria was completed in 1929.

Hard site to expand on because it was landlocked. I used to go swimming there in the summers since I lived a block away, my mother also graduated from Eastern and said they used Belle Isle for most of their athletic events. Was renamed John Dancy Night School when the new Eastern was opened and was closed and tore down in 1986.

Western: Health unit was constructed in 1924, it is the only part of the building that survived the fire in 1935 that destroyed the original building.

Cody: Construction began in 1949 occupied in January of 1952 with final addition completed in 1955. Total cost of 5.65 million. Original attendance boundaries were Fullerton to the North, Greenfield to the East and the City Limits to the south and west.

Will pass along more info as I open some trunks.
    Last edited by scribe114; February-13-13 at 11:34 PM.