Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
The "gay" neighborhood in Detroit used to be Palmer Park, where the fantastic apartment buildings offered huge apartments at reasonable rents, while the night life was situated on both Woodward and West McNichols.

Since the area has slid down the toilet, the nightclubs and restaurants either moved out or burned down.

I especially remember the Backstage Deli, Footlights, and Salute as places everyone, not just the gay community, went on weekend nights.

What a shame Palmer Park's apartment buildings have gone vacant, or are in danger of going vacant. This is one of the areas of the city that would benefit from a full-scale renovation, and guard gates for the residents. It might actually save the area.
It never fails to amaze me how people look at crime as being committed by outsiders despite statistics and common sense saying otherwise, as if everyone doesn't have a shady side no one sees. Where are these criminals coming from [[the East side says the West side, the West side says the east side, each neighborhood says somewhere else, the suburbs say the city, and the city says the lower income suburbs)? Why are criminals driving into Palmer Park when there are arguably more wealthy and less secure neighborhoods in the suburbs. I mean, some members of said suburban communities brag about how unsecure their communities are [[ie; "I leave all my windows down in the mall parking lot with valuables on the seat", "everyone just leaves my door unlocked around my house", etc.).