Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well at least paint is the least intrusive architectural change. Don't care for the color, but it doesn't go that badly with the tinted green glass. At least guests arriving won't have any trouble finding it... and likely those staying there won't see it [[if the top of the deck is not painted that color).

As for any resemblance to them Mexican flag... hardly think so... that's a green white and RED color... not green, white, purple and pink.

Again... it's just a paint color... perhaps weathered it won't look so bad. I bet most people here don't realize that during medieval times most buildings such as cathedrals and town halls were awash in colors. Royal cathedrals had their insides painted entirely in red... and all their exterior statuary was painted as well. Bet we'd get a lot of "yuks" if folks saw that today.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    As for any resemblance to them Mexican flag... hardly think so... that's a green white and RED color... not green, white, purple and pink.
    Uhhhhh, Have you looked @ the 2 flags on the first deck of the structure?

They 'test drove' a 2 or 3 shades of purple on the facade facing Washington. The color they chose isn't as saturated [[at least in the middle of winter) as the rendering portrays.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Uhhhhh, Have you looked @ the 2 flags on the first deck of the structure?
    No.... like the disucssion of the car in front... I generally stick to the topic at hand... and ignore peripheral non-related stuff.... but thanks for pointing that out...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-11-13 at 12:05 PM.

No.... like the disucssion of the car in front... I generally stick to the topic at hand... and ignore peripheral non-related stuff.... but thanks for pointing that out...
    That's what I'm here for.....

I had great memories at that hotel.

My mother worked at the lobby and at valet before she found another job at Henry Ford Hospital. Our family has stayed at that hotel many nights before it was closed down.

At the building is an historic marker representing the site for where Detroit was originally founded.

When I heard that someone would reopen the hotel, I was happy. I would like to make some suggestions:

Do not put the Mexican flag on the flagpole. If you're going to put flags up there, put the USA flag, the State flag, and the City flag there.

Especially the City flag, since the historic marker was located on the Parking lobby level.

At one point in the past there was a discussion of putting a 2nd tower on the western half of the Ponchartrain block... and then connect it with the expanded Cobo [[which has special structural features for such a skyway already in place). However, that came of naught, and so the western part of that block is still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Do not put the Mexican flag on the flagpole. If you're going to put flags up there, put the USA flag, the State flag, and the City flag there.

Especially the City flag, since the historic marker was located on the Parking lobby level.

I wish more facilities in Detroit would fly Detroit's flag. Hotels have a pretty good track record. Both the Marriott in the Ren Cen and the Book Cadillac fly the flag. The supreme irony is that it does not fly at the City County Building, but you can find it at the entrance of the Incinerator. Props to Dan Gilbert, too, as it flies at The Qube [[old Chase Tower on Woodward).
    Last edited by downtownguy; January-11-13 at 01:39 PM.

I had great memories at that hotel.

My mother worked at the lobby and at valet before she found another job at Henry Ford Hospital. Our family has stayed at that hotel many nights before it was closed down.

At the building is an historic marker representing the site for where Detroit was originally founded.

When I heard that someone would reopen the hotel, I was happy. I would like to make some suggestions:

Remember Ernie Swan @ the piano bar? Fun times.

I never gave it much consideration, but now that you bring it up - I would like to see the city flag at more locations around town.

Marketing 101 says you should fly the Canadian flag also. After all you want all those hockey pucks to going to JLA to feel welcome at your hotel eh!

I am currently visiting in Chicago and almost ANYTHING they put there is better !
    Detroit and Detroiters need to think outside the box !
    It's not the worst thing that has happen to Detroit
    Detroit needs like 200 more hotels and stores in downtown, not say that they should accept anything , but Detroit needs to move FORWARD and quickly !!!!
    DETROIT is being left behind at an alarming rate .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; January-11-13 at 10:52 PM.

With a city that is predominantly African America, did they have to use white businessmen in nice suits in the rendering? Don't they know they are going to get crap for that.

And why add that random women walking towards them? She suppose to be a prostitute?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    With a city that is predominantly African America, did they have to use white businessmen in nice suits in the rendering? Don't they know they are going to get crap for that.

And why add that random women walking towards them? She suppose to be a prostitute?
    One would think that out of town visitors coming here to Detroit for business or a convention would represent the majority American buisiness model.... so your point is moot....

Still, our own idiotic city Council [[people who live here ACTUALLY VOTE THESE PEOPLE IN mind you) think Obama should give the city money just because. I'm sure when they run out of things to bitch about, they will resort to complaining about race demographics in architectural renderings of proposed ideas in city improvements.

I'm glad to hear work is actually getting done, even if slowly. Always nice to see another building go back online. i drive by on jefferson every day and have found it a bit odd that random room lights are on. I wonder how feasible it would be to make some rental apts in there; i could see some interest given the location and great views. I would think it would help out with revenue when hotel business is slow.

I noticed the Mexican flag right away which is a bit odd; also in the rendering it appears that the mechanical/hvac space on the roof is missing. I wonder if this equipment is being relocated for aesthetics or if they just forgot it.

About the Mexican flag,

I presume somebody told the architecture firm in Youngstown Ohio that there was a border country due south of Detroit and they assumed it was Mexico. I would have done the same.

Wait, what? It just looks like they added some pink paint and a modern-looking canopy. What else is even different about it?

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Wait, what? It just looks like they added some pink paint and a modern-looking canopy. What else is even different about it?
    Remodeled insides...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Still, our own idiotic city Council [[people who live here ACTUALLY VOTE THESE PEOPLE IN mind you) think Obama should give the city money just because. I'm sure when they run out of things to bitch about, they will resort to complaining about race demographics in architectural renderings of proposed ideas in city improvements.
    What an idiotic comment. Perhaps you should run for council.

Remodeled insides...
    Do you have more info on that? One of the challenges in upgraded old hotels is dealing with small room sizes and modern amenities. Did they address that?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Do you have more info on that? One of the challenges in upgraded old hotels is dealing with small room sizes and modern amenities. Did they address that?
    Only what was posted on this thread.... which explains the Mexican flag...

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-Pontchartrain

I recall that thread from the first time around, but I didn't see anything in it about room renovations. Did I miss something?

I was going by the full dumpster comments.... and the comments about hopefully being done for the Auto Show...

From yesterday

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast