Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Yeah, I had a feeling some people would feel that way, but I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating the uniqueness of specific cultures. Of course, in the end, we're not that different from each other, but that's no reason to try and whitewash what DOES make us different.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Yeah, I had a feeling some people would feel that way, but I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating the uniqueness of specific cultures. Of course, in the end, we're not that different from each other, but that's no reason to try and whitewash what DOES make us different.
    I most certainly don't want to sound like I was offended, I just choose not to have criteria like "black owned" and would instead replace them with another category like "best soul food" or "best authentic African food" or "best African inspired food", or something along those lines. There's a good chance that such an establishment would be black owned, but it wouldn't be an absolute guarantee. It's not the race of the owners that is important, but the food and the experience.

When searching for "black owned" places it makes it sound like you're trying to "support your own". I don't making those distinctions.

Sorry to side-track your conversation here, I just feel strongly about that subject.

Couldn't agree more with you. The race of the owner shouldn't be a determining factor, it should simply be the type of food that's being served.